- The strategic objective of this programme is to reduce the environmental impact of direct and indirect emissions of Green House Gases from waste generation, treatment, recovery and disposal. Through a holistic approach to sustainable waste management – in accordance with the waste management hierarchy – this programme ensures a cohesive delivery of projects focused on bridging gaps between existing activities in the context of waste and climate change.
- To promote Integrated Solid Waste Management (ISWM) based on the 3R (Reduce, Recycle, and Reuse) approach.
- To encourage sustainable consumption and production that minimises waste generation per capita.
- To facilitate the conversion of waste agriculture biomass and waste plastics into useful energy and/or material resources, and management of hazardous waste.
- To promote the treatment and usage of wastewater for agriculture and other economically useful activities.
- To promote waste prevention and resource recovery, thereby reducing the climate impact of raw material extraction and manufacturing processes.
- Communities empowered in waste management processes that effectively mitigate GHG emissions or offer a net benefit.
- Resource recovery from waste management will lead to decrease in raw material extraction and manufacturing.
- Improvements in human and environmental health as a result of proper disposal of waste.
- Material recovered from waste management provides source of income to community towards poverty alleviation.